You have just welcomed a male puppy and the idea of having him neutered is dividing your family members ...
But what does this intervention consist of and what advantages does it offer?
To read :
- Dog vaccination
- All our articles dedicated to the dog
The principle of castration
- Surgical castration involves removing the dog's testicles. This painless act for the animal is final. It will no longer be able to reproduce and it will no longer secrete testosterones. These sex hormones are the cause of certain unwanted behaviors and affect the dog's metabolism. Left on an empty stomach at the vet, he will be prescribed anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotics after the operation. Kept under observation for a few hours, you can pick it up in the evening. He will have to wear a collar. The sutures will be removed about ten days later. You have to plan a budget of 150 to 200 euros depending on the weight of the individual.
- For best results, castration should be done before your dog goes through puberty, before hormones rise. In small dogs, it is between 6 and 8 months old. For large dogs, between 8 and 10 months old.
- Castration from an early age prevents the dog from adopting bad automatisms such as untimely tagging, overlapping between congeners or the simulation of the sexual act on his bed or on yourself.
- Castration can be done at all ages after a blood test and a complete examination of your animal.
The benefits of castration
- No more fighting with the other males.
- Absence of continuous marking.
- His urine and hair will no longer have an unpleasant odor.
- No more runaways if your dog smells of a female in heat.
- A more calm and balanced companion.
- Protection against prostate and testicular tumors and perianal hernias.
- It’s a solution to canine overpopulation.
- A neutered dog will not be stolen to be sold for breeding. This traffic is unfortunately on the rise.
The disadvantages of castration
- Weight gain. To avoid it, you must either reduce your daily ration or provide a low-fat food specially adapted to castrated dogs. Regular physical activity is essential to help keep your weight in good shape. Your dog's energy needs will drop by around 20%.
To know about castration
- Owners with a first and second category dog are required to have their dog neutered (law of January 1999).
- Any male monorchid (only one testis in place) or cryptorchid (no testis in place) must be neutered, as he is at high risk of developing a tumor.
- Castration does not solve all behavior problems. If your dog suffers from phobia, anxiety, hyperactivity, repeatedly barks or is aggressive with you, you should see a behaviorist to assess the situation and take appropriate action.
- If you adopt a dog at the SPA, he will be spayed or neutered. If he is too young at the time of adoption, you will be required to bring him back to the legal age for this operation.
Chemical castration of the dog
If one of your family members is refractory to surgical castration, you can opt for chemical castration. This is a temporary solution. You will be offered two methods:
- Placement of an implant. This continuously diffuses hormones which stop the production of testosterones for 6 to 12 months.
- By direct injection of hormones. Effect felt between 3 and 6 months.
The price is between 70 euros and 100 euros knowing that each practitioner sets their prices.
- If you just don't want your dog to reproduce again, you can choose sterilization (or vasectomy), which involves ligating the vas deferens that leads sperm to the penis.
To meditate : “I would like to know the music that my dog's tail beats in time. "