A salad is always a pleasure, especially when it is escarole and it is served with duck breasts and poached eggs.
Here is a nice starter that can even serve as a light meal.
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 1 escarole
- 1 carrot
- ½ beet flood
- 1 orange
- 80 g walnut kernels
- 4 eggs
- 12 slices of smoked duck breast degreased
- 1 C. to s. apple cider vinegar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. walnut oil
- 4 branches of chervil.
Escarole with duck breast and poached egg
- Remove the leaves, wash and wring out the salad (reserve 4 nice handfuls of salad and keep the rest in the fridge).
- Wash and peel the carrot and cut it into tagliatelle with a vegetable razor (or sticks with a paring knife).
- Peel the beetroot half and cut it into thin sticks.
- Wash and then zest the orange completely (keep the fruit cool for later tasting).
- In the bottom of the salad bowl, pour the salt, then the vinegar and finish with the oil. Mix well. Top with the salad, carrot tagliatelle, beetroot sticks, orange zest, walnut kernels and season the salad.
- In a ramekin (microwave safe), pour 4 tbsp. of water and 1 pinch of coarse salt. Crack an egg and cook it 45 to 50 seconds at full power. Repeat for the remaining 3 eggs.
- Spoon the poached eggs on a paper towel. Reserve.
Arrange the salad on 4 plates.
- Place an egg and 3 slices of smoked duck breast in the center of each.
- Decorate with a few sprigs of chervil before serving.
The escarole is a salad that keeps particularly well. You can prepare a large quantity in advance and store it in a cool place - washed and wrung out - in zipped bags. It can thus accompany all meals of the week. Remember to prepare a pot of basic vinaigrette, to "customize" throughout the week with: garlic, shallot, herbs, spices ...
© Philippe Dufour / Interfel