A delicious fall recipe, this Ribera de Xuquer persimmon cake is a real treat.
Ingredients for 8 portions:
- 5 persimmons Ribera del Xúquer PDO
- 1 lemon
- 25g soft butter
- 10cl of oil
- 65g + 200g + 2 tbsp. tablespoons of brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 110g fine wheat semolina
- 125g yogurt
- 120g flour
- 2 tbsp. teaspoon of yeast
- 1/2 tsp. teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
2. Rinse the persimmons. Cut one persimmon into cubes and the others into slices.
3. Place a round of baking paper in the bottom of a mold. Brush with soft butter, sprinkle with 2 tbsp. tablespoons of brown sugar and line the bottom with slices of persimmon.
4. Bring 25cl of water to the boil with 200g of brown sugar and the lemon juice. Add the remaining persimmon slices and cook them in the syrup for 10 minutes.
5. Whisk the egg yolks with the grated lemon zest, 65g brown sugar and the oil. Incorporate the semolina, then the yogurt and finally the flour with the baking powder and salt. Gently add the whipped egg whites, then the diced persimmon.
6. Pour the dough into the mold and bake for 25 minutes.
7. When the cake is done, turn it over onto a deep dish and pour half the syrup on top.
Let cool and serve with the rest of the syrup and the poached persimmon slices.
Credits: Julie Mechali - photographer / Annelyse Chardon, Recipe designer and food stylist