You know Yannick, or yanh35, active and always nice member of our forum.
He invites us to discover a recipe from his garden which seems formidable.
Very easy to make, this gratin will go perfectly with many dishes, with its sweet and salty taste, white meat will be perfect.
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Ingredient for 4 people:
- 8 small turnips or 4 big
- 6 potatoes (sweeten the taste of the turnips a bit)
Recipe for Caramelized Turnip Gratin
Cook the potatoes beforehand, then cut them into slices.
Peel your turnips, then cut them into slices (preferably quite thin too).
Blanch them: this consists of putting your vegetables in a saucepan of water and bringing them to the boil for a few minutes (usually as soon as the water begins to wriggle: allow 2-3 minutes)
Preheat your oven to 180 °,
- Prepare a small plate of sugar that you will reserve
- Drain your turnips
- Place them in the double-sided sugar plate (be careful not to be excessive with the sugar)
Brown a knob of butter in a pan, when it wriggles,
- Place your turnip rings in the pan, making sure to turn them on both sides so that they caramelize slightly.
- Take them out of the pan and set them aside.
Butter your dish a little,
- Place a layer of potatoes, then a layer of turnip and so on until the stock is finished
You can optionally add a pinch of grated Gruyere in a thin layer so as not to break the taste of the caramel.
- Heat for 20 minutes
- Remove from oven and serve piping hot
One last tip
I really like to serve this gratin with thinly sliced white meat, which I fry in the pan, with a knob of butter, to then flavor it with some freshly picked aromatics such as coriander.
Recipe made with garden vegetables and produced by Yannick Hirel from the blog http://www.au-potager-bio.com/
Enjoy your meal !