Fall is a great time to plant your strawberries, but also to lay them.
Layering is a quick and easy method to revitalize your strawberries while multiplying them.
Necessary material :
- 1 pot or 1 scoop
- Potting soil
- 1 or 2 small iron hoop (s)
Layering of strawberries, technique and period
If after a few years you notice that the strawberry crop is getting smaller and smaller, now is a good time to think about layering them.
This relatively simple technique allows old plants to be replaced by young strawberries that are much more vigorous and productive at a lower cost.
As the picture shows,
- Choose a stolon with 1 or more knots.
- Find the strongest knot.
- Place the knot on the bucket filled with soil without burying it completely (only the base must be in close contact with the soil)
- Keep the knot in contact with the soil using a small iron hoop that you will plant in the bucket.
- Cut the side of the stolon that is no longer in contact with the mother plant.
- Water when the soil is dry to keep it slightly moist.
- Once well rooted, you can separate the new plant from the mother plant.
- Planting in the ground will take place the following spring.
To read also on strawberries and strawberries
- For the growing and caring for strawberries, follow the guide.
- More,how to have tasty strawberries
- Also find our delicious strawberry jam recipe
- All ourstrawberries and recipes